Lancaster: the Walkable City
How lucky are we to have had some beautiful spring-like weather this early in the year? Walking outside comfortably and enjoying the sunshine is incredibly important, especially for those aged 50 and above.
We have compiled some tips on the importance of daily walks:
1. Treat taking a walk as required “daily medication.” This is an easy way to get a daily dose of Vitamin D, as well as getting your body moving!
2. Taking a 15 minute walk right after dinner will lower your blood pressure. The benefit is almost immediate!
3. Taking a 30-minute walk three times a week can relieve lower back pain, as walking strengthens a lot of those same muscles as lower back physical therapy!
Lucky for those of us who reside at Steeple View Lofts, our neighborhood is very walkable. Walking is not only beneficial to physical health, but also cognitive health as well. Walking and navigating yourself through the city actually improves your visuospatial map, or “mental map.” And if you pass by someone and engage with them, you’re also benefiting from the interaction through socialization.
Here are some places you can walk to quite quickly from Steeple View Lofts.
- Get some delicious breakfast or lunch in the cozy nook that is On Orange.
- Don’t whine for wine! Head on over to Pour for some wonderful charcuterie and a glass of divine wine.
- Want something fresh and fast? Try a poke bowl at Chop Sushi.
- Head to Gallery Row and walk from gallery to gallery. Enjoy the sunshine AND some beautiful local art.
- Need to sit down and bask in the sun? Enjoy the park right across the street from PA College of Art and Design (next to the police station). Bring a picnic lunch while you’re at it!
Oh, and it’s also worth noting that SVL has a Walk Score of 99/100! Get those bodies moving and enjoy the sunshine!